It was 2006 that Sally Brown and Chrissy Biasotto opened the doors to Tailor Maid Communications. In a small office in Surry Hills, the Chief Maids were just two passionate women ready to make a mark in the PR industry.
Today, Tailor Maid Communications celebrates their 12th birthday. The company now has a total of 12 employees and over 25 clients in the beauty and fashion sphere. With a strong vision, TMC has become a reputable agency, working alongside leading brands while bringing a fresh, innovative approach to the mix.
Though the road hasn’t been easy, it has definitely been a learning process. Here are 12 things the Chief Maids have learnt over the past 12 years.
- Learn to understand the media landscape.
- Treat clients as if they are the only clients on our books.
- Never undersell yourself and always believe in yourself.
- Constantly reinvent the wheel.
- Learn from mistakes.
- It’s PR not ER, don’t sweat the small stuff!
- Don’t take things personally, it’s business.
- Regularly attend talks and constantly read – knowledge is power.
- Use mentorship programs for directors and staff to ensure everyone is constantly developing and driven.
- The 9-5 mindset isn’t for you if you want to be in PR.
- Invest in your business and your people.
- Celebrate your successes! Always embrace the moment of a new client or a hero editorial feature. We have a ‘coverage’ horn in the office and celebrate any great wins in the business.